The complexity of Supply Chain has been resulting in continuous upstream and downstream problems historically.
In a research published by Emerald Group, and recently quoted by Mr. Tim Charlton – Senior Management Consultant at XAct Solutions – we find an interesting approach to the smartification key aspects of Supply Chain:
- Instrumented – Information is overwhelmingly being machine-generated, such as by sensors, RFID tags, etc.
- Interconnected – The entire supply chain, including business entities, assets, IT systems, products, and other smart objects are all connected.
- Intelligent – They make large-scale optimal decisions to optimize performance.
- Automated – Much of the process flows are automated by using machines to replace other low-efficiency resources, such as labor.
- Integrated – Process integration involving collaboration across supply chain stages, joint decision making, common systems, and information sharing.
- Innovative – Development of new value through solutions that meet new requirements, inarticulate needs, or even existing needs in better ways.
“The development of Smart Supply Chains has never been more paramount than now.”
“Academic literature has long advocated the notion that information is a critical component of successful supply chain practices. Given we execute our supply chain activities within a dynamic operating environment of continued uncertainty and disruptions, the development of Smart Supply Chains has never been more paramount than now”, remarks Tim Charlton in his article.
But the questions that you may be making yourself are whether the supply chains are ready to be smartified? will be a standalone process for my company or most likely involve a similar process from vendors and clients? is my organization prepared for such transformation from systems to employees?
Although obviously, you may not have instant answers to all these questions, formulating openly throughout your ecosystem may be a good first step to help the right strategy to emerge. Meanwhile what is unstoppable is the emerging of new pressures for finding the way to the sector’s mantra: cheaper, faster and better, and the way is no other than smartification.
Contact Us to discover how Neurored can help your organization towards Supply Chain Smartification
“Are Supply Chains Ready to be Smart?”
“Smart supply chain management: a review and implications for future research.”
Emeral Group Publishing Limited